There are some things that only readers understand:
1. You can know a word, how it’s spelled, and what it means, and still have no idea how to pronounce it. This is called “reader’s vocabulary” or “Calliope syndrome”. This happens to me ALL the time – one specific word was “superfluous” which I thought was pronounced “super-fluous.” Another hard one? “Epitome.” Oops.
2. You can forget to eat while reading. It’s strange, but true – I can forget to eat entire meals because I’m engrossed in an intense story. I remember reading “The Hunger Games” trilogy in three days and not eating much more than saltines. Ironic, considering the title of the book… and this is coming from someone who very much likes to eat.
3. There’s no wrong way to “sit” while reading a book. Sitting normally in a chair. Pillow in your lap instead of behind your head. Lying on your stomach with the book propped in front of you. Every marathon reading session has a few interesting postures that it goes through… or more than a few.
4. Owning more than one copy of a favorite book is perfectly acceptable. There’s the hardcover that reminds you of the first time you read it, the paperback that’s easier to carry around, the commemorative edition that you HAD to buy because it’s one of your favorites… You are not alone, book-lover.
5. Anything can be used as a bookmark. ANYTHING. Paper (obviously), but also hair ties, pens, ribbons, paperclips… and maybe a little unusual but totally valid: other books.
6. The best possible response to “What are doing this weekend?” is “Read a book.” Maybe it sounds lame to other people, but two days of uninterrupted reading bliss is the best way to spend a weekend.
7. There’s only one way to read a series: in order, from start to finish. No explanation necessary.
8. When you finish a really good book and just can’t bring yourself to start another one because you know everything is going to be a letdown. That’s when you have to turn to your reader-friends and get a solid recommendation to pull you back in.
Which of these had you nodding your head? Any that I missed? Share them in the comments below!
P.S. Did you see which books I’ve been reading lately? Check them out here!